Saturday, December 14, 2013

Feelin' Crafty

Saturday, December 14, 2013
In need of a few party favors and hostess gifts, I got to crafting these 
hand-painted kitchen size match boxes.
They'll be great for lighting holiday fires and candles.  

It's really easy to do . . . 
First, lightly sand the shine off the box.
Next, paint on a light coat of gesso to prime the surface.


After the gesso dries, paint solid backgrounds in a variety of colors.
(I found that the inexpensive $1-2 acrylic craft paint worked way better than expensive paints.)
Using a 1 inch foam brush for the gesso and background steps made the job quick and easy.


I used small brushes and the nicer Golden fluid acrylics to paint 
Native American inspired pots, adobes and people on my first batch.
Detail was added with Sharpie acrylic paint pens and a bit of holiday sparkle (glitter).

I also did a big botanical batch for my YaYa's and a few mandalas too. 



Even did some tattoo inspired designs for the men on my list.
Cigar anyone?



Wrap it all with a pretty bow and bam you're done!


Hope you'll find some time to craft some holiday gifts too . . . it really got me in the Christmas spirit!
If you are, I'd love to hear what you're up to - do share with a link or description!






1 comment:

Liette alias Pixelle said...

oh i adore your crafty idea for chritmas gift..it is so personnal and pretty...now have to find some boxes and play...i don't have my studio here in texas for winter but will find the essential for playing...thanks to share again and again...you inspire me so much...xxx