Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Field Trips: A Living Desert

Friday, April 12, 2013
Remember the field trips we took in elementary and middle school?
I think they are my most favorite memories of youth.
All week long, we'd look forward to a break from our routine and the chance to get away from the classroom for a while.  I'm sure it led to my insatiable curiosity, love of learning and avid interests in science, art and nature.

These days, I still send myself out on "field trips" . . .
sometimes spending hours or days researching what I'd like to see and learn more about.
I plan where I'll have lunch or a coffee break and I always pack my camera and sketchbook.

I want you to be my "buddy" on some of these field trips, 
so I've launched a new series I call

I'll take you along on some of my favorite outings - places like museums, art fairs, hikes or studios.
Who knows where we'll go.

I hope you'll enjoy the "eye candy"
If you're a bit like me, the images may lead you to spend time afterwards in 
your sketchbook, art journal, diary or easel.

Sometimes, I'll show you what's come of the inspiration for me - on the field trip day itself or some time soon after.  I'd love to see if it's sparked some creative action for you....so do please share links back to your work in the comments.

*  *  *  *  *

I spend a great deal of time in Palm Springs .  
My little family is fortunate to swing between two beautiful California climates
as my husband's work recently took him closer to the desert than the beach.

It's not a barren place as many would believe - it is alive and blooming.

It seems to only to take a drop or two of water and it springs to life!





Hiking there is nothing short of miraculous.
As one winds around this trail or that, you come upon pools of clear mountain waters.
Hence the "springs" in Palm Springs!




Even lizards want to cool off in the shady spots,
hiding from the screeching hawks soaring overhead.


Shimmery leaves rustle in warm desert breezes.




Bursts of color beneath the clearest of blue skies.







Rainbows and cool showers and towering palms a'plenty. 


 Hidden oasis's everywhere.




And much needed relief from the heat is easy to find - ahhhhhh.



The slow desert lifestyle often leads me to the sketchbook.



I can spend hours doodling the simple shapes I notice while on the desert "trails".




I sense a series of feather paintings coming on . . . 






2 comments:

Lisa said...

OOOH! I LOVED this field trip! I get so jealous when the kids get to go places. This is WAY better - that tree, those colors, those sketches, that DRINK! Totally awesome.

thank you for this!!

Margie said...

These field trips have brought your camera into play...cool! Love these and what comes from them.